Projects Index Page
Follow this link to our Projects Index for a simple listing of Projects pages within the Wiki.
Like to Do It Yourself? Interested in engaging with group and individual projects? Believe knowledge should be free? Hackerspaces allow room for groups of individuals to share knowledge, resources and to create awesome things. Tucson's hackerspace is new; your involvement will help it grow. Come and meet others like you, that like to tinker, make, destroy, wonder, reuse, fabricate, share, explore, and have fun.
This is the WIKI for projects, ideas, resources, and collaboration!
Arduino Workshop is repeated on a regular basis since this is one of our more popular workshops. David Lyttle is teaching a "Basics of Arduino" workshop to help folks learn to set up and use the Arduino controller.
Welding Workshop is repeated monthly. Leon and Pablo Sierra built this great welding table with heavy curtains and welding glass viewing windows so spectators can watch the work and then take a turn learning the skills of welding.
Soldering Workshop is one of our most requested classes. Alex Barton is a skilled soldering expert and teaches everything from large components to the miniature SMB chips.
3D Printing We have several 3d printers and are constantly working on techniques to push this new workshop tool to new levels.
Aluminum casting is now a reality with the new furnace design and simple sand molds on styrofoam.
Meetings are used to organize the activities of Xerocraft, make decisions on policies and procedures and generally, take care of business to keep the rent paid and the doors open. Our Monday evening meetings are hosted at the Xerocraft Makerspace, 101 W. 6th St, Tucson AZ. Our meetings are open to everyone! We use an informal version of formal consensus to make decisions.
We are a Federal 501(c)3 Tax Exempt Charitable Organization.
We welcome a wide range of responsible, creative, supportive and collaborative people to come join our vision of a common Makerspace / Hackerspace / Inventorspace / Creatorspace / Ideaspace.
We are supported by memberships of $50 a month for extended access to our resources and tools, storage space, neat premiums, and the knowledge that you are helping promote the vision of an independent Technology Commons where knowledge is free and experimentation is encouraged. Our *Membership Pageis a good place to look into helping us out.
- Every Saturday at starting at 12 noon and Thursday evening from 7:00 till 10:00 pm. Calendar
Saturdays and Thursdays are our "open days" with a focus on 'How-To" workshops and help with working on your projects. We encourage new folks to come over during the open days to see what we are doing and how they can contribute their energies and what they can learn or develop.
- Recently, we did a soldering workshop and we will have soldering irons and supplies available for learning and demonstrations of the basics at every Saturday work day. We have also had workshops on Arduino, Welding, and Crocheting. We also had a demonstration of a "Ruben's Tube", an interesting and fun pyroacoustic device.
Hackerspace Projects and Resources
- Xerocraft Resources
The tools of Xerocraft are available for use by all. For some users, we may require training or some demonstration of proficiency in the tool's use due to the potential for extreme harm if misused. The following is a list of tools by project category that we have available. (Note: * is for equipment not kept on site)
10" Table Saw, 12" band saw, 16" scroll saw, 14" wood lathe, 10" radial arm saw, 13" planer, drill press, Hand planes, Sanders, chisels, clamps,
Drill/Mill, Lathe, angle grinders, drills, welders (*), pop riveter, soldering, brazing
Sewing Machine, scroll saw, hot glue gun, drill presses, fabric, foam,
sheet metal in various grades, some nifty nylon tubes, some metal square tube stocks, various computer parts, RF dishes, coax,
- Macromouse Robotic Platform -Current Status: Being painted(3/4/12)
- Wireless Mesh Network - Updated 6/26/11
- Seed Hacking - October 8, 2011
- Tool Setup Installing our stand mounted and bench mounted equipment in a safe and secure manner.
Classes - One off classes repeated as requested
- Project Design - How to get an idea onto paper.
- Soldering basics - Everything requires wires to be soldered together.
- Gardening - irrigation basics.. Drip, Automate, fight lime!
- Basics of Welding - You want the parts to stay together, right?
- Basic Arduino - How to make the LED blink.
- Arduino design - What else can an Arduino do?
- Simple Robots - Logic Switches and Gears.
- Fabric Design - How to make flat sheets fit curved surfaces.
- Inventioneering - Figuring out if it can physically work.
- Prototyping - Getting it through the first three iterations.
- Costuming - Halloween to Steampunk.
- Casting Aluminum - using found resources.
- 3-D Printing - Design to G-code to Print.
- Lost PLA Casting - 3-D print to metal.
- Shop tool safety - How to use the various machines correctly.
Classes will request a $5 donation from non-members and may require materials fees. The description in the calendar will indicate if additional materials fees are required.
Workshops - Multi-session work periods
- Building Tube Amps
- Building High End Stereo Speakers
- Building a 3D Printer
- Building a 3D Laser Scanner
= Workshops are by RSVP and will have a cost for materials and facilitators =
- Every other Monday at 7pm we meet at Xerocraft Makerspace, 101 W. 6th St.
A group of interested volunteers at Xerocraft have been meeting to work out organizational details and look at the best way to move forward with our Hackerspace model. Our steering committee meetings started in September 2011 and have been on Monday evenings to work on details of moving Xerocraft into a respectable Hackerspace with a regular monthly budget of expenses and income that allows us to approach donors and solicit funds to start new programs and carry out our innovative programs.
For progress reports and updates, go to the Steering Committee page
Xerocraft Discussion List
- If you are interested in what we are doing and what we are planning, you can join our discussion list at http://xerocraft.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xerocraft-discuss